Research Box & Rack Applications
Boxes and Racks maintain organization of samples and equipment to allow efficient lab work; preventing mix-up or loss of valuable items.
Cryboxes and More
Cryoboxes are common for categorizing samples during preservation in either mechanical or liquid nitrogen freezers. Models constructed of polycarbonate, polypropylene, moisture repellent fiberboard or laminated cardboard resist the cold temperatures and associated effects to protect samples stored within. Samples may also be stored vertically with cryo towers, while black boxes enable preservation of light-sensitive samples. Boxes with alpha-numeric grids enable greater sample management.
Other boxes, such as utility boxes enable storage of instruments and consumables while resisting cracking or warping. A diverse range of boxes are available, with inserts designed for slides, tubes, and vials, but to name a few. Transport boxes often have a locking or hinge mechanism and also consist of a leak-proof material with handles, when used for transporting clinical or biological samples. Lab specimens require (two-way) shipper boxes to transport them at ambient temperature.
Test Tube Racks & Other Rack Types
Racks are primarily used to store tubes or support them during an experiment, providing the framework for organized experiments while freeing up researchers’ hands for other tasks. Though they come in many different sizes and variations, many are stackable and autoclavable, while others include transparent/translucent lids. Racks may be made of plastic, such as polyethylene, or steel wires.
Racks available include:
• Test tube racks – vary in the size and number of tubes they can hold, usually compatible with automated equipment
• Microtube racks – designed for holding microtubes only
• Draining Racks – for streak-free, air drying with removable trays. Can be self-standing or wall mounted.
• PCR racks – hold standard sized PCR tubes or strips, able to withstand high temperatures
• Combination Tube Racks – which have slots available for different-sized tubes
• Centrifuge Tube Rack – accommodate centrifuge tubes