DNA & RNA Extraction on Zageno
DNA Purification, which commonly uses magnetic beads or silica columns, requires these steps:
• Cell lysis via the use of:
* Chaotropic Salts – make it possible for DNA to bind to solid phase (e.g. silica membrane)
* Detergents – able to degrade proteins and cellular structures, including the nuclear envelope
* Enzymes – such as proteinase K and RNases, which break down proteins and RNA respectively
• Removal of contaminants (e.g. carbohydrates) through centrifugation and pipetting, specific methods include:
* Ethanol Precipitation – DNA is insoluble in alcohol
* Phenol-Chloroform Extraction – Phenol removes proteins in the aqueous layer
* Mini-column / Spin Column Purification – DNA will bind to silica under the correct conditions
Check out our article about the Coral Reefs and DNA extraction tips for working with this sample type.
RNA Purification, in general, runs as follows:
- Guanidine thiocyanate and a reducing agent disrupt the cells
- Vigorous shaking or vortexing break any disulfide bonds as well as inactivating any contaminants
- Phenol and chloroform-isoamyl, followed by centrifugation, separate RNA in the cell
- Ethanol washing (75%) removes impurities from the precipitate.
Compare RNA Extraction Kits!
With our compare function, you can avoid all the time and energy wasted sifting through multiple web pages from different suppliers. At ZAGENO you can clearly see kits side-by-side, with the relevant attributes for each kit neatly in line for easy selection of the best product for you.
Click on the comparison below for a clearer view!
For instance, this comparison shows:
- that the High Pure RNA Isolation kit from Roche Life Science is the cheapest per preperation
- that the Qiaamp RNA Blood Mini Kit from Qiagen has the greatest binding capacity
- that the Total RNA Purification Kit from Norgen Biotek can also be used to extract mRNA and miRNA
This comparison clearly exemplifies how every kit has strengths and weaknesses. Depending on what features you require for
your experiment, these details should enable you to make an informed decision on the right kit for you.
The ZAGENO comparison does not highlight one kit to be better than the other, as the kit of choice may vary between
researchers - depending on each individual's preferred attributes. The best kit is the one that meets your needs - ZAGENO allows
you to make an informed decision with minimum effort.
Check out our How It Works page for a guide to using the comparison function.
Video and image credits: