Sequencing Chips on ZAGENO
Can't find what you are looking for? Request the product now and we'll find it for you (typically within 1 hour).Request Product
Monitoring hydrogen ions
Usually when a polymerase incorporates nucleotides into DNA, a hydrogen ion is released as a byproduct. So when the complementary base is added to the DNA template and the hydrogen ion is released, its positive charge changes the pH of the solution, which is detected by the sequencing apparatus. The chips can convert this chemical information into a digital form and thereby call the base.
The process is described here in more detail:
- The chip consists of millions of wells which capture chemical information from DNA sequencing and convert it to digital information, i.e. the identity of the base.
2. DNA is broken into millions of fragments; each one binds to a bead, where it is copied until it covers the bead.
3. The beads flow across the chip and each bead deposits into an individual well. The wells are flooded with one of the four nucleotides. When a nucleotide integrates with the ssDNA, a hydrogen ion is released.
4. A sequencer can read the chemical change on the chip; the hydrogen ions create a pH shift in the solution which the ion sensitive layer beneath the well measures and converts to a voltage. The change in voltage is indicative of the addition of the appropriate nucleotide.
5. The process occurs with each nucleotide flooding the wells one after the other. The whole process occurs simultaneously in each well, allowing for quick sequencing of large fragments.
Compare Sequencing Chips
With our compare function, you can avoid all the time and energy wasted sifting through multiple web pages from different suppliers. At ZAGENO you can clearly see kits side-by-side, with the relevant attributes for each kit neatly in line for easy selection of the best product for you.
Click on the comparison below for a clearer view!
For example, this comparison shows:
that the ION 540™ CHIP Kit from Ion Torrent can carry out the most reads per chip.
that the ION 520™ CHIP Kit from Ion Torrent is the cheapest per chip.
that the ION PI™ CHIP KIT V3 from Ion Torrent can carry out a run in as little as two hours.
This comparison clearly exemplifies how every kit has strengths and weaknesses. Depending on what features you require for your experiment, these details should enable you to make an informed decision on the right kit for you.
The ZAGENO comparison does not highlight one kit to be better than the other, as the kit of choice may vary between researchers - depending on each individual's preferred attributes. The best kit is the one that meets your needs - ZAGENO allows you to make an informed decision with minimum effort.
Check out our How It Works page for a guide to using the comparison function.